Italian Dinner Date Night
If you are planning an Italian dinner, either to celebrate with friends and family or as a date for you and your partner, you should learn the general courses of a traditional Italian dinner. An Italian dinner can be broken down into five components. These parts include the antipasto, primo, secondo, contorno, and dolce, and each of these parts has different types of foods in them. Enjoying a meal in this Italian fashion can turn any night into a special occasion. An Italian dinner date is also a great experience to share with your special someone, and it is an excellent idea for Valentine’s date night too! If you are looking for the Best Italian restaurant in Huntington NY, look no further than Jonathan’s Ristorante.
Italian Dinner Layout:
While there are no set rules on how you should enjoy delicious Italian meals, there is a general order to the parts of each meal. The order is determined by what type of foods are being served and eaten. We will discuss the different parts of an Italian dinner here, and make it simple so you can impress, either when you go out or cook for yourself. If you are looking for The best Italian restaurant in Huntington NY, with a casual yet sophisticated look, come to Jonathan’s Ristorante and enjoy the delicious flavors of Italy.
- Antipasto – This is referred to as “before the meal.” It can be compared to appetizers in our cuisine and is usually just something to nibble on while you wait till your next course. Some things that are typically eaten as an antipasto include platters of meats and cheeses, bruschetta, crostini, and calamari.
- Primo – The primo is the first course and generally will have a more substantial amount of food than the antipasto. Since antipasto is usually colder foods, primos tend to be hotter foods. Some common examples of primos include pasta, lasagne, risotto, gnocchi, and soup.
- Secondo – This is the second and main course of the dinner. This part of the dinner is when the most substantial portions of meat are served, or meaty seafood. Things like chicken, lamb, beef, duck, lobster, etc. are served here.
- Contorno – These are side dishes that are served alongside the secondo. The sides are usually vegetable-based dishes, either cooked such as sauteed spinach, asparagus, and potatoes or can be raw, like a salad.
- Dolce – A sweet dish, or a dessert, that typically concludes the meal. There are many different types of desserts you can serve or eat, but each of them has a sweet tone to them. Sometimes a drink is served and enjoyed as well. Caffeinated drinks such as an espresso or cappuccino can be served alongside or after the dolce, or a digestive, a digestive alcoholic drink, is taken after.
Best Italian Restaurant in Huntington
Italian dinners that consist of all these parts are typically saved for special occasions. These steps are not needed to enjoy a delicious Italian dinner. However, if you are looking to create a memorable and enjoyable dinner occasion, then the traditional Italian way is what we recommend. Whether you are celebrating or going out on a dinner date, dinners like this are sure to bring much enjoyment and happiness. If you are looking for the best Italian restaurant in Huntington NY, to enjoy a delicious meal in, come join us at Jonathan’s Ristorante!
Wines at The Best Italian Restaurant in Huntington NY
Summer Time Wines
When summer time comes, our palettes are begin to adjust to the warm weather. There are often different foods and drinks that are more appropriate for the weather change. For example, certain summer wines are paired well with certain foods when the weather gets warmer. Of course, different summer wines pair best with different types of food. Jonathan’s Ristorante, a restaurant in Huntington has been serving different summer wines since 1994!
Best Summer Wine and Food Pairings
It is no secret that certain wines go well with certain foods. For summer, as our wines adjust, so do the foods we eat. Among the best summer wine and good pairings are:
- Rosé – Best paired with cheeses, pesto pasta, and grilled fish and shellfish for a perfect taste of summer! This wine would also go great with
- White Wines – Commonly paired with seafood options such as oysters, shrimp, clams, and muscles for a perfect flavor for summer.
- Chardonnay – For summer, it is best to pair with Chardonnays either salmon, chicken, or a creamy pasta dish. At Jonathan’s Ristorante, a restaurant in Huntington we offer a dish called Salmone a La Piastra that would go wonderfully with a glass of chardonnay.
- Red Wines – Among the best summer pairings for red wines include grilled steaks such as New York strip, bone-in porterhouse, and Delmonico.
- Pinot Noir – Pinot Noir summer pairings exceed those of many other wines. Among the many foods that pair with these wines for a sweet summer flavor are grilled tuna, salmon, swordfish, pork tenderloin, chicken, duck, pork chops, and pasta with light red sauce.
- Shiraz, Malbec, Zinfandel – These wines pair well with barbequed foods such as ribs, burgers, flank steak, smoked meats, grilled pork tenderloin, and grilled pizzas.
Make sure to pair your wines with the best foods this summer. At Jonathan’s Ristorante, we have an extensive wine list and menu of foods to pair perfectly with them! At our restaurant in Huntington, we want you to enjoy your summer and match our delicious foods with your favorite wines. Make a reservation today and get the perfect taste of summer this year!
As the temperature drops, the urge to intake heartier food and drinks can overtake you. Wine is great no matter the season, but which types are best for the colder months of winter? Jonathan’s Ristorante, the best Italian restaurant in Huntington NY, has the answers for you! Try pairing the below wines with our delicious menus to ride out the winter months in style.
Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the most recognizable red wines, and perfect for the colder months of winter. This is a dry wine that contains a healthy level of tannin. Sweet wines are great for the summer months, but dry wines match well with the cold weather. This red wine should almost always be drunk while eating food, so consider pairing it with any of the below items on our menu:
- Grilled Sirloin Burger.
- 10oz Filet Mignon.
- Bucatini Bolognese.
- Linguine Neri Con Gamberi.
Zinfandel is made up of bold, spicy, and jammy flavors that can warm you up this time of year. With hints of pepper, berries, and dark cherries, this is another excellent wine to pair with hearty red sauces that are a staple in Italian cuisine.
The first white wine on this list, Oaked Chardonnay offers flavors such as burnt sugar, vanilla, and spice. This wine can be thought of as an alternative to holiday classics such as eggnog or hot-buttered rum. Don’t try any of our creamy pasta sauces or chicken dishes without a glass of Oaked Chardonnay by its side!
This type of wine has become synonymous with helping people ring in the year, but don’t think you can only enjoy it when the clock strikes midnight. What better way to cheer up your winter blues than with a little bit of the bubbly? Champagne is light, refreshing, and extremely versatile with food! It can work wonders in enhancing the experience of the following starters and sides:
- Charcuterie and Cheese Plate.
- Herbed French Fries.
- Sweet Potato Fries.
The Best Italian Restaurant In Huntington NY
At Jonathan’s Ristorante, the best Italian restaurant in Huntington NY, we embrace the winter months. Stopping by to enjoy our winter wines will have you wishing this season would never end. All of our dishes and drinks are second to none, so make sure you dine with us today!